Saturday, February 12, 2011
Into The Wild
Years ago a man named Chris McCandless decided he would forsake everything and head north to Alaska where he would walk Into The Wild to fulfill the ever overwhelming sensation compelling him to live off the land, be alone, push himself physically and mentally to overcome the brutal conditions of the land. I'm sure that Hollywood has romanticized his story at least a little. However I can understand this misunderstood young man who felt the need to be at one with nature and find himself amongst his struggle to survive. I have often longed to pack up my bag with minimal rations, rifle, sleeping bag, basic survival gear and head off into the great unknown. Fortunately I have been blessed with a wonderful wife and awesome kids that keep me grounded when those thoughts and desires surface. I don't really know what exactly it is that is so mysteriously powerful about the wild but I can't help but wonder "could I exist without all the commodities and conveniences we have come to love and depend on so dearly?". The wild can be a good place and it can also be a bad place. Jesus was lead into the wilderness (wild) by the Spirit, Mark even goes as far as to say "the Spirit drove Him into the wild". There Jesus fasted for forty days and then was tempted of Satan. When He resisted the temptation He was strengthened by angels. He came out of the wild with such anointing that he turned the water to wine, cast out devils, healed many that were sick and preached to the multitudes. So even though the wild can be dangerous and full of scary beast and conditions it can also prove to be a place to refocus our lives and grow in our faith. I think the most important fact the apostles were trying to illustrate to us is that when we are lead or shall I say driven into a scary uncomfortable place we need to keep our eyes on the lord and stay in His word, then in His timing we will come through with a great anointing and a great testimony. Unfortunately Chris McCandless died in his journey into the wild, If he'd been led of the spirit into the wild I have absolutely no doubt that he would have made it out alive. Always remember, where God leads He feeds! God Bless and farewell!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love this.
ReplyDelete